April 18, 2012
JOB POSTING: Community Outreach Liaison
(Summer Student Position - $18.81/hour)
12 week term, starting May 16, 2012
The wage rate is $18.81/hour.
The Simon Fraser Public Interest Research Group (SFPIRG) is a student-funded and student-directed resource centre dedicated to social and environmental justice. SFPIRG is collectively run and works by consensus.
We are looking for a student to fill the position of Community Outreach Liaison for a 12 week term, starting May 16, 2012. Applicants must be able to work up to 20 hours/week, during office hours. The wage rate is $18.81/hour.
**Please Note** This position is subject to funding by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC). If our application is successful, the funding stipulates that students must be 15-30 years of age and have been a full time student in the Spring term and returning as a full time student in the Fall term. Unfortunately, international students do not qualify under this HRSDC funding.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position will conduct outreach for SFPIRG’s Action Research Exchange Program (ARX) http://sfpirg.ca/arx
- Assist groups in designing a project for student researchers to complete and filling the project application
- Research community groups and their contact information, with a particular emphasis on under-represented community groups
- Identify community outreach opportunities, attend events and festivals to promote the program
- Establish contacts with grassroots community and activist organizations about the ARX program through email announcements, mailing, coordinating media, presentations, and attending community events
- Manage and maintain correspondence between the ARX program and community groups
- Work with SFPIRG outreach coordinator in placing targeted ads
- Assist ARX Coordinator in managing ARX project files and archiving
- Assist all SFPIRG staff in maintaining the office & provide support for students accessing SFPIRG resources
- Update the content and design of our current community database
Skills and Experience Required:
- Good communication skills (approachable, responsive, clear)
- Organized, resourceful, and self-initiated
- Knowledge of progressive community groups and the non-profit sector in the Lower Mainland
- Sensitive to and aware of social and political issues in the social justice community
- Experience and/or interest in participatory community research and alternative research methods
- Capacity to be self-directed and work in a collective structure using consensus decision –making
- Good computer and email skills
- Ability and willingness to work with volunteers and groups from a diversity of backgrounds
SFPIRG is an affirmative action employer. Hiring preference shall be given to qualified applicants from groups who face systemic barriers to employment (such as women, people of colour, queer folks, trans folks, people with disabilities, etc.). Applicants wanting to be considered under affirmative action should discuss this in their cover letter. We encourage applicants to include other skills and experiences in addition to those outlined above.
Please submit cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attn: Hiring Committee.
Please put ‘Community Outreach Liaison’ in the subject heading of the email and include both documents in 1 attached file only.
Please make a note in your cover letter stating if you are between 15-30 years of age and have been a full time student in the Spring term and returning as a full time student in the Fall term. Unfortunately, international students do not qualify under this HRSDC funding.
Deadline for application is Sunday, May 6th, 2012 at midnight.
No phone or e-mail enquiries. Late applications not accepted. Only short listed applicants contacted.
Mail: SFPIRG, TC 326, SFU, Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6. Coast Salish Territories.