What are the men's prevention and intervention programs held in Canada and the US. From what theoretical framework do they work from and how effective are they. What are the best practices in men's prevention and intervention programming. What are the barriers to urging men to end violence against women. What do men's violence prevention and intervention workers say and think about their effectiveness and strategic challenges/successes
- focus group interest and experience
- qualitative and participatory research interest or experience
- knowledge and experience with research ethics
The Battered Women's Support Services Violence Stops Here Campaign takes the anti violence message forward into the 21st Century recognizing that violence against women isn’t only a woman’s issue but is clearly an issue for men. We urge men to own their role in ending violence against women, become part of the solution and break the silence.
We seek to identify the key components of men's prevention and intervention work to inform development of a comprehensive violence intervention program
Magnitude of Project
1) Complete analysis of selected literature relating to men's violence prevention and intervention programs in Canada and US with an emphasis on programs with men of colour and Indigenous men. - THIS PART IS UNDERWAY & UNAVAILABLE
2) Annotated bibliography of men's prevention and intervention programs specifically those which are awareness-raising and also specific intervention programs for batterers
3 ) Annotated bibliography of literature of men’s violence prevention and intervention programs in Canada, US, and other regions globally
4) Selected online-accessible media sources and social media networks on men’s violence prevention and intervention programs
5) Historical inquiry of violence prevention and intervention with men
6) Theoretical analysis from an anti- colonial, anti oppression feminist women centred perspective on men’s violence prevention and intervention programs
7) Focus groups and/or interviews with men anti violence prevention and intervention service providers
The results of this project will be used to inform BWSS "The Violence Stops Here" prevention and intervention program for men, young men, boys, women, young women and girls.
The qualitative research will be used to educate and inform the larger community, other anti violence practitioners and advocates, and will be used as an advocacy tool for anti violence work.
The information will be used in the form of articles and presentation material to advocate and inform the anti violence sector in BC and other regions of Canada and US.
Ending violence against women and girls and shaping the path for men's violence prevention and intervention programming
Organized by: Battered Women's Support Services